Whoa Momma!

Big Momma1
Whoa Momma!
5 votes, 5.00 avg. rating (97% score)

Daaaaaaaammmmm

Fancy AQHA Red Roan Mare w/breeding to World Champion!

“I am including a paid breeding to World Champion, Superior Halter Horse “RH Stars N Stripes” with purchase of this mare. Resulting foal will be double registered APHA/AQHA.

“Heavy muscled Yeah, there’s the freakin understatement of the YEAR Quarter Horse mare. Huge hip and forearm. Not a super tall mare, standing just under 15 hands, but she is STOUT You don’t say… and is as wide as she is tall She’s a brick, dadadaaa, howse. Consistently outproduces herself height wise.

“Sired by World Champion Sire Can Spicuous and out of a daughter of Kid Clu.

“Very sweet and easy to handle and her babies all have the same disposition. SHE IS NOT BROKE TO RIDE. The only reason she is for sale is that I am getting out of halter horses completely.

“High percentage roan producer and is a true red roan, not a sabino like so many horses advertised as “roan”. Easy breeder, easy foaler.

“N/H but does not have any issues and is not on meds.

“Last three pics are of her last two foals, and RH Stars N Stripes (the stallion she comes with a breeding to.)”

Oh hey look, the blatant perpetuation of an easily eradicable disease. Well gosh, that sounds like fun. Here, let me pre-breed the mare for you to ensure her faulty genetics continue! -said no responsible horse breeder ever.

And yes, it’s quite clear she has no issues whatsoever with the disease that causes involuntary muscle spasms producing the exact type of muscling you see on this mare – sheer coincidence, I’m sure.

If you’re unfamiliar with HYPP, check out this article from UC Davis. They also have an interesting little HYPP breeding chart:

Psst, breeders! HYPP is a genetically dominant trait.

Direct from the UC Davis article:

“Myths about HYPP

“Some people have felt that the disease can be diluted out and not carried to distant generations. This is false because an affected horse has just as much chance to pass on the trait as the affected parent which passed the gene to him. Some people also believe the horse will “grow out of it.” This is not true. For unknown reasons, attacks of HYPP tend to occur most often at the beginning of intense training and fitting for shows (age three to seven years old). It is important to realize that horses with HYPP are affected for life. It is possible that older horses do not experience the same conditioning stresses as young horses or owners have discovered the best management strategies for the older horses with HYPP.

“Some people also think that if a horse does not show any signs up to a certain age, it does not carry the trait. Unfortunately, this is not the case. Once again, horses with HYPP are affected for life. There was a stallion and a broodmare with HYPP who did not show signs of the disease until age eight and 15, and both horses only experienced one isolated attack.

“Owners and breeders of affected horses should inform prospective buyers of the management constraints these horses have and the potential for future episodes of HYPP.”

1. Posted by knowitallinmi, at Reply

at least this isnt a yearling! Q.H. breeders will snap her up in a heartbeat, i cant believe those legs can hold her up,much less with the added weight of carrying a mini-her for 11mo. not even a good example of “if you cant ride them, breed them” she does have a nice arabian “dish face” tho! and, she is a purdy kolur, eye woold bread hur two mi nayburz stallyun jest bkuz uf thet!! hee hee hee!!

2. Posted by knowitallinmi, at Reply

oooops i got sooo excited about her pretty muscles, i forgot about her being n/h. she still is a purdy kolur!!

3. Posted by Jennifer, at Reply

You should see her pic on their website, she is ‘Lola’
    Yowsers!

4. Posted by Butterflys5, at Reply

Uhh, yuk! These horses always look freakish to me.

5. Posted by TerrorizedTrailGuide, at Reply

Ugh, this person keeps posting in our CL. It’s always: *last chance!* *new price* *price reduced!*
    Been there for a while, guess even the other halter people aren’t interested.
    She looks more morbidly obese than muscled…

• Posted by Quill, at Reply

I was thinking that too. She’s defenitly a heavy-muscle type, but if I look at that second image, she looks like she’s packing more lard than muscle.

6. Posted by Jennifer R, at Reply

On top of that, I doubt VERY much that that mare is roan. I could be wrong, but she looks like very loud rabicano to me, not roan…although the Hancock style roan can express oddly.

Quite aside from the N/H (and I personally dislike the overall look of the Impressive lined horses even when they’re N/N) I really don’t like her croup. Not sure if she has a weird lumbar-sacral joint or if it’s the beginnings of sway back from lugging foals around…but the point of the croup seems strangely far back to me.

• Posted by Rockin RC Ranch, at Reply

She has to be a true red roan as she has had roan offspring out of non-roan studs. She doesnt look it, but she has the gene to pass it on. Too bad she will pass on the hypp 50% of the time too.

• Posted by Jennifer R, at Reply

Okay. That’s pretty minimal expression, though ;).

(And personally, I have nothing against rabicano anyway, it’s cute).

• Posted by Paula, at Reply

However, she is still not a “red roan”. She is clearly a chestnut which makes her a strawberry roan :)

• Posted by Rockin RC Ranch, at Reply

With probable sabino since she was white socks and a blaze. LMAO!! That makes her a super speshul kolor, doesnt it? SO she should be worth more now! LMAO!

• Posted by HJK, at Reply

I agree with the croup thing. Something does seem off. She has an extremely low tail set. Her shoulder is just plain ugly and vertical. Good thing she’s not broke to ride because:
      a) Her piddly little legs wouldn’t hold up and
      b) With that shoulder, short thick neck, and upright legs she would be about as smooth as a wheelbarrow with a flat tire.

7. Posted by cattypex, at Reply

LARD.

ASS.

A real poster child for “Why Halter Breeding Sucks.”

Thank you for the HYPP info – I’ve referenced the UC/Davis article myself, often.

Also her head got Photoshopped on that last pic, I assume to make it look even more “babydoll” but instead it looks like someone took an ugly Arab head/neck and stuck it on a Santa Gertrudis body: http://www.breedersales.com/Breeders/watasanta and then tacked on a horse tail and bad legs.

Her front legs look horrible in every single photo. Even if she weighed 300# less, she wouldn’t stay sound. Breeding this mare should be illegal. There’s nothing here to suggest decent conformation, though her roan filly listed below looks normal. Then again, the roan filly is a yearling in the photo, and a “normal” looking yearling does not bode well for useful conformation in adulthood, in my experience.

It almost seems that for yearlings, the funnier-looking, the better!

• Posted by HJK, at Reply

They do seem to go through an ugly duckling stage, don’t they? My poor WB yearling looked like a camel for a while (short neck, long back, long legs, big head), she grew into it however!

8. Posted by Horseychick87, at Reply

Wow, that poor horse. She could be the sweetest horse in the world, but I certainly would never own a horse like that. I have never been able to understand how some people can find that look attractive.

9. Posted by Robynne Catheron, at Reply

I’ve never heard the words “Ick, a horse,” but I have heard “Ick, a halter horse!” So very unattractive.

10. Posted by aerial lee, at Reply

When I first seen this mare the first thought was “has got to be impressive bred!” Yup thought was correct. I had a little stud colt gave to me. (Wasn’t suppose to be HYPP). He was, an had the seisures and shakes about 6 months after I got him.. He was the best colt. SUPER personality, an sweet asa baby doll no stupidity whatsoever with him! I didn’t have him on meds, I controlled what he ate. No molasses, he was on a strict diet!. I could ride him an did. Easiest hose I have ever trained! I Did have him gelded, never bred him. (I was smart enuff not to make another (horse or person) deal with this HYPP). I had him untill he was 7, then I made the decision to have him put down.. He had a real bad “spell” an he never really recooped. I will NEVER have another N/H or H/H horse! Too much heart break in dealing with that.. He led a good life with me. Lived like royalty actualy… I don’t understand why people still breed the horses with HYPP but then again people are stupid, an hey whatever for a buck right?

11. Posted by horsesandponies4ever, at Reply

Until the AQHA people finally extract their heads from their asses amd imbrace the fact that this gene will NEVER dillute no matter how much breeding you do, the better. If everyone stopped breeding carriers, we’d stop having horses falling over dead, riders injured because their horse had a seizure and collapsed, horses on meds because people are careless and or cluelss (or simply don’t give a damn besides $$$$), and stop accepting this kind of crap horse the better the world would be. I bet if AQHA came up with a halter rule that stated a horse had to do an active job that was actually demanding and stay sound (including free of genetic diseases) for eight years before being shown, how much do you want to bet that half (if not more) the horses would be eliminated? Unless it’s warmblood evaluations, I laugh at the American version of halter. Just a means to pick the next purdy horse. People need to stop and, I don’t know, THINK before they allow crap like this. Your downgrading horses into fugly train wrecks when crap like this allowed to reproduce. HYPP needs to die out, before the AQH becomes like prime example above. Why do you feel it’s necessary to have beef cows in the show ring? That’s right, beef cow as seeing as that is no way in fact a horse.

12. Posted by Rachel G., at Reply

I have a Kid Clu grandson, and he’s built like that. He is HYPP N/N, but still looks like a muscle-man

13. Posted by Ellen, at Reply

Holy freaking crap.

She looks like one of those photoshopped “monster” horses with ridiculously huge muscles.

Actually, for a second there, I thought she WAS one of those photoshopped “monster” horses.

Life imitating art is definitely NOT a good thing in this case…

14. Posted by Meg, at Reply

Lost it at “She’s a brick, dadadaaa, howse” was crying with laughter. Oh Snarky, I love you.

*bows* hehehe thanks!! :D

15. Posted by Quill, at Reply

I’m not even joking when I say I thought this was a cow in the thumbnail. How moly! She has an Arabian face, so she makes me think of a morbidly obese Arabian. Can Arabians even get this big without dying first?

I’m all for big butts on quarter horses, my own girl is an Appendix and has a monster butt but her muscles are normally sized. This whole Monster Horse thing is stupid.

• Posted by horsesandponies4ever, at Reply

We once had a black quarter horse that I swore was indeed an arab, until I was told he was an old AQHA reg. cutting horse that had been donated to the program. They had his papers and everything. I even know of a OTTB that I could have sworn was a quarter horse until I saw his race pictures from Emerald Downs. That just proved to me that Mother Nature loves to trick people, and genes also played a helpful role as well.

16. Posted by Rebecca, at Reply

This horse looks like she has been pumped up with steroids! Somebody get in touch with Hanz and Franz:)

17. Posted by Delana Metcalf, at Reply

Ick. No thanks, I’ll pass.

I would jump on that pretty paint mare Macy tho! Very pretty, decently made.

18. Posted by Paula, at Reply

“For unknown reasons, attacks of HYPP tend to occur most often at the start of intense training and fitting for shows…” I wonder if the seizures can be brought on by stress? I know its not the same, but mother used to to take fits when she was younger and she said it was definitely stress related (either mental or physical).

19. Posted by Frost, at Reply

Gross. And so sad, because HYPP could be stopped so easily by just not breeding anything N/H or H/H.

So simple, yet people just keep breeding these disgusting creatures again and again and perpetuating it.

AQHA should be deeply ashamed as well for continuing to register carriers. Taking that registration away would remove the value of breeding them for the most part.

20. Posted by Rockin RC Ranch, at Reply

I actually have an HYPP NH gelding that I had no idea had it when I got him. (bad bad me, didnt research his bloodlines before I bought him) Mine is an appy and luckily he inherited his ancesters big feet and thick legs, so he actually looks pretty well proportioned compared to some HYPP horses. I dont let him get fat at all, as I would worry about his joints more. I do ride him and I control his HYPP with his feed. Which translates to, he gets only grass hay, pasture, and white salt and NOTHING else. I really think HYPP will not end until the associations get on the ball and dont allow the foals to be registered and stop allowing them into the shows.

21. Posted by VroomVroom, at Reply

This reeks of anabolic steroid use. I’ve been around Quarter Horses my whole life. I’ve seen the worst of the worst when it comes to beefcakes and I’ve never seen anything like this. Not only is this disgusting and abuse, it’s false advertising since the ~*~SUPER MUSCLES OMG~*~ they’re promising ain’t gonna happen.

22. Posted by GLF, at Reply

HAHAHAHA More cushion for the pushin’!

That is the most hilariously beefy horse I have ever seen in my life. Sassy looking too. Like the Kim Kardashian of horses.

23. Posted by Bunhead at Heart, at Reply

I’m late to the party on this one, I know, but someone PLEASE tell me this mare was not bred via live cover to a stud owned by someone other than the mare’s owner. If she was, wow, shame on the stud’s owner. I don’t care if they’re making big $ on the stud fee, it’s the responsibility of *both* owners to make smart decisions about breeding.

24. Posted by Kalin, at Reply

This is a little too muscled. I hope they didn’t use any steroids or anything, but what’s with all of the Quarter Horse hate? Man! Lol! I own a fabulous, very well built and healthy Quarter, do English riders hate them or something??