Ow my legs

legs
0.00 avg. rating (0% score) - 0 votes

Ok any foal experts out there? What do you think of the legs on this one?  Am I delusional to be hoping that she’s about to take a step forward in each and every photo?

Also, if you’re selling her, why bother to breed her again?!

I have a reg. AQHA dun mare for sale. Has a buckskin tobiano filly on her side will sell both for the price of $1500 firm. Will breed her back next month or sold before. Filly can be reg.APHA.”

I know foals can look a little wonky at first, but, um, I fear for the little one. And the (potential) future little one in that mare’s baby oven.

On to the part where they’re selling mare and baby, but if not sold in time they’ll breed her again.

I need to take a breather.

You don’t want mommy or baby, but if no one takes them in time, you’ll create another one that you (presumably) won’t want either.  Where’s the logic in that one?  Wake up and smell the beat pulp!  In this horse market, impregnating this mare will not increase her value, nor will it encourage potential buyers.

One last thing, what’s going on with that mare’s feet?  Farrier care people, it’s not just a suggestion, it’s what we like to call a necessity. As in, get your goddamned horse’s feet trimmed!  You know that stud fee you’re about to pay?  Why not save it and use the money for some trims?  It’d be looked kindly upon by potential buyers!  Ooooh dear, you weren’t planning on just putting her in a field with a random stud, were you?  No no no, that will not do. Not at all.

1. Posted by jlvjthela, at Reply

Looks like the foals front legs have contracted tendons, at least to me that is

2. Posted by blondemare, at Reply

MAJOR contraction in her tendons, holy cow! I had a foa with the same issue, not quite this bad, and was told to lock him in a stall for 3 months or opt for check ligament surgery. The surgery worked beautifully, he was never lame and his tendons relaxed the perfect amount. Massaging can help and keep the heels trimmed. Sometimes they grow out of this stage perfectly fine.

• Posted by Mackenzie @ BST, at Reply

Somehow I suspect from the state of that mare’s feet that the owners of this foal aren’t going to bother with either veterinary care or massages…

3. Posted by Sorrel76, at Reply

Poor baby! Is that painful for them when they are so little? It certainly looks like it has to hurt :-/

4. Posted by WhisperTheWind, at Reply

I’m still cringing on the feet of the mare. Holy cow those are bad.

Depending on the foals age, they may loosen on their own. I’ve seen worse that were helped by the opposite of what blondemare experienced. Turned out on large pasture, the legs straightened fine. Pleeze don’t breed her again.

Where is she located, a good rehome looks in order

• Posted by blondemare, at Reply

My colt wasn’t improving, he was actually getting worse. The more he ran, the more the tendons strengthened and tightened. I have no regrets with my decision. At the time, my vet thought it could’ve been due to feeding my mare a lot of alfalfa during her third trimester. Who knows. I bred her 4 more times and never experienced another foal with this problem. Different stallions, no alfalfa, no contracted tendons.

5. Posted by Arabian Horse Owners, at Reply

this is a great blog, thank you!

6. Posted by Islandponies, at Reply

The mare is cute and so is the filly. I hope they get a good owner who will get vet and farrier care for them quickly. Was the ad longer than what is quoted? Any info about the mare’s age, history, training, etc?

There’s a link to the ad – where “sale ad” is underlined in the post (sorry, working on making the links more obvious) but no, there’s no more info in the ad.

7. Posted by Spots, at Reply

Not a problem (yet) as far as I can see. Not unusal at all to have them over at the knee at that age – much better than calf-kneed at that age. I wouldn’t worry about this one at all. Also not unusal at all to have them out behind at that age. They should straighten out with time and turn out. I showed a horse in dressage today that when he was born, I could see the bottoms of all 4 feet if I looked at him from the front. (he had very week flexor tendons) and today he’s 100% fine. Foals can look pretty wonky sometimes. But, unless there is a real serious problem (serious knock-kneed) where they need surgery to correct, most of them straighten out on their own.

8. Posted by rose, at Reply

Nothing says “I dont give a shit” like untrimmed hooves

9. Posted by Joan, at Reply

Holy bat Feet !!! Poor horse, poor feet ,someone needs to get a pet rock and never have anything that needs care!!!

10. Posted by CJL, at Reply

I’ve seen worse straighten up on their own and be fine. On another note, we rescued a mare who foaled a month later and the filly was born with contracted tendons.The vet gave her a tetracycline injection (yes…the antibiotic) to help relax her tendons and then she had me wrap her legs with furacin wraps. It worked and within no time she improved and was fine.

11. Posted by Paula, at Reply

I think the mare could be nice if her feet were in good nick. Not breeding material though.

12. Posted by Charlotte, at Reply

Mares feet are a mess. Ouch,

On another note I feel I must dispell this idea of tendons contracting. They don’t. They can only stretch 10% and that’s under pressure.
    It’s the muscles the tendon’s are attached to that contract. So if the muscle contracts, the tendon tension tightens thus pulling the leg/arm/wrist/ankle, when said muscle relaxes the tendon goes back to it’s normal position. Basically tendons attach muscle to bone and act as the rope between the two objects. Ligaments attach bone to bone and are there to stabilize joints. If you have a problem with one of them, something else is out of whack.

So, best bet, get this guy out and moving, do body work to release the contracted muscles and keep those heels trimmed.

Oh, and Happy Momma’s Day!

• Posted by Equine Vet, at Reply

Exercise actually worsens contracted tendons by strengthening and tightening the muscles. Assuming it’s not a joint problem, this baby needs splints (possibly only for a couple days) and stall rest. Oxytetracycline has controversial efficacy and appears to work best in very young foals, but as long as the foal is well hydrated it shouldn’t be a problem. It supposedly works by chelating the calcium in the muscles causing reduced contraction. I had a pretty severe case recently that was fine in <48 hours with splints and exercise restriction.

13. Posted by Deb B, at Reply

What a lovely muck paddock they’re in! Growing corn is more important than pasture for horses. ARG!

14. Posted by knowitallinmi, at Reply

looks like mowed grass clippings shes eating,could have something to do with babys legs,if she ate that while p.g.(mold, weed killer,fertilizer) there arent even any weeds in there!