Really, really, really bum high

really bum high
0.00 avg. rating (0% score) - 0 votes

That horse is INCREDIBLY bum high.  I mean, wowzers.  I’m thinking – well, hoping – that this is a picture of the horse as a yearling because three year old QH’s don’t look like this!  If they did, if this was considered normal for the breed, we wouldn’t ever need to debate the whole ‘starting them at 2’ thing!  Because honestly, who is going to argue that this guy should be ridden?  That is, aside from this guy 😉

Hawt damn those are some upright rear pasterns.  How upright? you may ask.  Well let’s take a looksee!

Yup, definitely some upright pasterns.  Those babies should be at 90 degree angles.  I kind of went to town with drawing lines on this guy but now, looking at his tail, coupled with his very well developed conformation, I’m leaning so far towards this pic being of him as a yearling that I’ve actually fallen over.  Which means that most, if not all, of those lines are likely irrelevant now that he’s three years old.

Unfortunately, and this is a tip for all those trying to sell horses online so pay attention, there are literally hundreds of thousands of horses for sale online.  Ok, that wasn’t the tip, but please keep reading!  For each person cruising the net for horses for sale, there are at least one hundred horses that meet their criteria.  Obviously that number gets whittled down the more geographically narrow their search is.  Either way, when buyers are searching through horses, the photo you select as your main photo is likely what is going to attract the buyer to your ad.  Case in point, every single horse for sale site recommends you have a photo in your ad – some even cite statistics that prove ads with photos receive more views. So if the photo is so important, WHY ARE YOU USING ONE THAT IS TWO YEARS OLD! Especially when it’s of the horse as a yearling?! When it’s at its most awkward?

It boggles my mind, it really does.  I have no idea what percentage of the population has cell phones these days, but I’m going to hazard a guess and say it’s 99.9%.  And since most cell phones have built in cameras… TAKE A NEW PHOTO!  It’s not that difficult anymore.  Gone are the days of waiting to use up a roll of film and then spending $10 (or whatever) to get them developed.  15 years ago this would be understandable (almost), but now?  Now you’re just lazy.

[Grrrr stomps off and goes to bed]

1. Posted by TerrorizedTrailGuide, at Reply

A good ad and flashy pictures (and a little work) can be the difference between a $800 horse and a $5,600 horse. Or a $400 horse and a $3,400 horse. … Actually, don’t tell people that, it’s paying my way through college.

2. Posted by mysanitygone, at Reply

I don’t think he looks like a yearling in that pic. His head looks more mature and like a 3 yr old. And I have seen pics of mature horses with this kind of conformation. Very sad.

These horses almost need the Big Lick platforms just to be comfortable.

3. Posted by Monica, at Reply

I think Beyonce would be jealous of dat ass!

4. Posted by Jennifer, at Reply

Some of it is the photo. He’s standing at an odd angle which is making him look weird and making his back look hideously short.

So, another note to people: Stand your horse STRAIGHT for his sales ad.

I do agree that he’s horribly downhill, though.

5. Posted by SweetPea, at Reply

Is it just me? Or is he over at the knee, too?

I’m hoping that’s the angle of the pic… but ya, it looks like he is to me too.

6. Posted by Leanne Brunelle, at Reply

Yeah never seen a qh yearling with that much mane either

7. Posted by Charlotte, at Reply

I remember my friends Barrel mare. God she looked awful until she hit 3. I mean, she looked like the leaning tower of piazza (sp) in a wind storm she couldn’t decide which end she was up (ok, and the piss poor grammer award goes to…). Then BAM! she filled out, evened out and whoa, she was nicely put together and could move. That’s when my friend took pictures for her sake ad, Not before.
    I agree, some effort for new pics wouldn’t kill the seller.

8. Posted by Laura, at Reply

I like the description it says, “long mane and tail, natural athlete” – as if the long mane and tail would make him an athlete.

Things closer to the camera appear slightly larger. If you want your hips to look smaller turn them slightly and square your shoulders to the camera. This way your shoulders will look broader and hips smaller. – – This will also work for horses. If you want your horse’s butt to appear bigger angle it closer to the camera! I think they may have over done it though.

This looks like a ‘down hill’ horse parked on a downhill slope.

9. Posted by Mare, at Reply

He looks post-legged, too. With those upright pasterns and knees, count on unsoundness in this boy’s future.

10. Posted by tblover900, at Reply

i love how the ad states a “pretty little head” its cute, but its not little!

over the knee, shot backed, rump high, and high withers….not a comfortable ride at all. Price tag questionable. The ad needs a current picture, and if this IS a current picture that horse is not worth the money with that conformation. No way.

11. Posted by Jan Sharp, at Reply

His tail looks too short to be a 3 year old, so lets hope it’s a 1 or 2 year old photo.

12. Posted by Lori, at Reply

I’ve also seen the “Oh god, what is this THING” and then all of the sudden, it all straightens out.

I’m close enough to know OF this breeder, and she does breed a lot for the track, and a lot of those running bred babies are way butt high and it doesn’t bother people going for the track, and most of them turn out just fine. She is not kidding though, the sire is a performer and I would not be surprised if the rest of her claims re performance were true. I don’t know her so I’m not defending her for no reason, but you need to know a little bit more about the discipline the horses are intended for.

And most barrel racers post the trot, no one cares of the horse is the most uncomfortable thing if its successful–they all smooth out when they go fast and most have careers as long as any other discipline. Short pasterns are desirable, too, for quick direction changes, and he does have some good angle to them although it’s hard to tell in this photo. Post legs help with faster acceleration, sickle hocked helps with fast stops.

13. Posted by Alyssa, at Reply

My first thought (Okay, second thought…after the “Oh crap, look at his butt.”) was “Oh crap, look at his hocks.” He’s so straight through them that it looks like he doesn’t even have any! I can’t bring myself to believe that post-legged horses can accelerate faster. They can’t reach under as well in the back, therefore they are going to have less push. They will cover less ground per stride than a horse that can track under well. Maybe they just have the illusion of better acceleration because their legs need to move faster to cover the same amount of ground. Either way, even if they do accelerate faster, I’d rather skip the post-legged guy for the correct legged guy and make up those fractions of seconds elsewhere on a horse that is much more likely to remain arthritis free by the time he reaches age 5. Trust me…I have a now 11yo ApHC gelding who has all these same faults…although less extreme…who had an onslaught of lameness issues by age 5. I admit I did not know a thing about conformation when I got him, just blindly listened to a trainer.

14. Posted by SinMiedoMama, at Reply

Omigod omigod! This ad is from literally 5 miles from me. For this area, sadly, this poor staircase of a horse is top shelf. It’s BYB, “Purty Kuhler”, “…likes to go”-ville here. :/